Friday 10 June 2016

Week 14 Readings put into perspective




Today I was trying to do the readings in preparation for Week 14 at the Mind lab but my daughter had other plans. As I was reading through the class overview about a blog written by Justine Hughes’s students: http://thecreatoropssteam.blogspot.co.nz/ I could hear Taylor Swift's Album 1989 playing.
Image result for taylor swift latest album
What caught my attention was not Taylor Swift but the ukulele playing along to the entire album. In the context of learning my daughter was in her element she was doing what she loves most singing, playing music and pretending she was in a concert performing in front of thousands of people.

There were two thoughts going through my mind

  • the blog which showed the learning that was captured over a period of time
  • and the imaginative play going on in the room next door to me

I was starting to think how can I capture this type of enthusiasm for the children in my classroom. How could I relate activities to what they like doing. It was nice to take time to reflect on the year so far and think what is learning? and what makes it meaningful?

 In room 5 this year we have already become improved users of technology. We are also regulating what others are doing on the devices. There is still a lot of work to do and I am very fortunate to have a like minded IT person in the school who is also an innovator. We may not have all the answers but we are constantly looking for positive ways to keep children engaged in their learning. Humour is definitely required as most times I have had something go wrong each week(as mentioned in the letter above).
Image result for the mind lab
A few weeks back at The Mind lab we learnt that teachers should contact other schools because someone else may have already solved the problem you currently have. It is so true through The Mind Lab we have been able to establish contacts with like minded people that have amazing resources. Sharing ideas across this group has been amazing Professional Development.

Image result for taylor swift facts

Click on the link here to find out more about Taylor Swift here

No comments:

Post a Comment