Friday 12 August 2016

Data collection and how to use it

Data for Self-Evaluation by Claire Easton got me thinking about how I collect data with my students electronically. Although her article is about surveys and collecting evidence it got me thinking about the assessment data I collate. 

Image result for love heart symbol

I love to collect data in a folder on Google drive for the students in my class. I find it really useful for reports at the end of the year and for sharing with others.I take photos of their projects and it also means I never have to take their books home with me to refer to. 


Other teachers in my teaching team put all their data on one page I haven't quite made it to that yet. 


I think I like to do it my way because I have lots of detail and a comments column.  Also by doing it the same way each year I can compare the data across year groups using the same reporting process. 



When I survey the children I still get shocked faces when I ask them to be brutally honest about how they found a particular topic. Without their feedback I can't make changes to improve the topics they are learning. Also they have an opportunity to share ideas that I might not have considered. 

Pinterest has many flashy ideas for data collection but I tend to use my own modified docs (The link just shows data sheets for kids). Over the years I have refined my assessment docs to reflect what the learning intentions have been. I am moving away from doing assessments for the sake of it just because another class  at the same year level has done it.

From TKI;"No single source of assessment information can accurately summarise a student’s achievement or progress. A range of approaches is necessary in order to compile a comprehensive picture of the areas of progress, areas requiring attention, and what a student’s unique progress looks like".


Want to read more from TKI;

Gathering Evidence

and

Using evidence for learning


  

No comments:

Post a Comment